Historical Aircraft

November 1942


(No entries for the period of 1 November to 10 November 1942 were available as the copy of the log on the micro-fiche is unreadable.)

Wednesday, 11 November, 1942

PO J.H. Long was examined by a specialist today and sent to Catterick Military Hospital for an indefinite period under observation.  Louis Kaliciak and Tom Cassidy were promoted to Corporals to fill vacancies.  The strength of the Squadron is slowly diminishing; it is now standing at 136 as compared to 154 at the end of August.  It seems impossible to secure replacements to fill the establishment.

Thursday, 12 November, 1942

Cloud was on the surface for most of the day with some fog and poor visibility.  Flying was cancelled for the day.  Under the supervision of our Padre, F/L D. Carlson, a weekly social is held for the Squadron personnel in the YMCA.  Programs are varied each week, the personnel enjoying a singsong, followed by a film this evening.

Friday, 13 November, 1942

Weather, visibility 4,000 yards to six miles, cloud 3/10ths to 10/10ths from 1,000 to 3,000 feet.  Air to air firing, Squadron formation and dusk landings were carried out today.

Saturday, 14 November, 1942

Light cloud formation of 6/10ths to 8/10ths at 2,000 to 3,000 feet with visibility of 4,000 yards to six miles.  Air firing, Squadron formation and Thornaby change over were completed today.

Sunday, 15 November, 1942

Weather was misty in the early morning, clearing and becoming fine for the remainder of the day.  Air to air firing, practice formation and tail chase, ZZ approaches and night flying at Scorton were done today.

Monday, 16 November, 1942

Weather was cloudy all day with 7/10ths to 9/10ths at 2,000 to 3,000 feet.  Air firing, ZZ approaches, low flying, cine gun, formation flying and attacks on Hudson at Thornaby were flown today.

Tuesday, 17 November, 1942

Weather was fair today with 1/10th to 9/10ths from 3,000 feet and visibility between 5 to 7 miles.  Local flying, air firing, ZZ approaches, aerobatics and a change over at Thornaby were done today.  One scramble occurred, lasting twenty minutes at Thornaby but no contact was made.  One section was ordered out to search for a stray balloon, which was not sighted.  A heavy session of night flying was done with five aircraft registering at 20:45 hours. A party of hockey players from 403 Squadron journeyed to Durham for the weekly game only to find that the opposition had failed to put in an appearance.  A practice session was arranged with another Canadian team.  A Squadron Committee meeting was held at 1100 hours.  Final details were ironed out for the dance which is to be held on January 8th and members were appointed to arrange the programs.  A further discussion regarding a Squadron crest and motto resulted in all of the members voting for the adoption of a Moose along the lines of a sample forwarded by the College of Arms and that the Cree interpretation of the motto ‘Beware of the Moose’ namely ‘Moosa Aswayita’ be incorporated.  The crest and the motto are being forwarded to the Chester Herald for immediate registration.

Wednesday, 18 November, 1942

Weather was partly cloudy, with 6/10ths to 9/10ths with a 3,000-foot base and visibility 1,200 yards t 4 miles.  Local flying, ZZ approaches and air to air firing were the order for the day.

Thursday, 19 November, 1942

It was cloudy all day with 6/10ths to 9/10ths and a base between 1,900 and 2,500 feet.  Visibility was poor, ranging from 200 yards to 4 miles.  There was a heavy ground mist for most of the day, and calm winds.  A weather test, ZZ approaches and aerobatics were flown today.

Friday, 20 November, 1942

Weather, cloudy all day, 6/10ths to 9/10ths based at 2,000 to 5,500 feet.  Visibility was good at 4 to 12 miles.  Local formation, ZZ approaches, aerobatics, tail chase and sector recognition were carried out.

Saturday, 21 November, 1942

Weather, 810ths to 9/10ths Cumulus cloud at 3,00 feet and fair visibility all day.  Formation, cine gun, aerobatics, night flying at Scorton, sector reconnaissance and low flying were carried out today.  Sergeants D.W. Rathwell and A.H Dowar were posted overseas.

Sunday, 22 November, 1942

Weather was fair all day, with visibility of roughly eight miles and light westerly winds.  Attacks on two Wellingtons, a change over at Thornaby, local flying and 17 hours of night flying were carried out.  The considerable amount of night flying during the past two months has resulted in every pilot becoming proficient in that important field.  Pilot Officer J. Hamankiewicz was posted to the Squadron to replace F/O J. Wiejski who left today to join a Polish Unit.  The loss of ‘Whiskey’, as he was affectionately known here, will be keenly felt as he was a steady pilot and his good nature made him liked by all.

Monday, 23 November, 1942

Weather today was cloudy, with approximately 9/10ths at 2,500 feet and six miles visibility.  ZZ approaches, cine gun, dogfights, attacks on Wellingtons, local flying and formation were carried out.

Tuesday, 24 November, 1942

Cloudy with slight haze, 9/10ths to 10/10ths visibility based at 2,000 to 3,000 feet.  Local flying, formation, cine gun, aerobatics and Wellington attacks were carried out.  The Squadron Hockey team is rapidly rounding into shape.  Today at Durham, they soundly trounced 426 Squadron by a score of 6-0.  LAC W. Kerwin did the hat trick, scoring four goals. There is every indication that 403 Squadron will be near the top when the playoffs roll around.

Wednesday, 25 November, 1942

Weather: cloudy with 10/10ths at 2,000 to 3,000 feet and a slight haze with visibility of 5,000 yards.  Cloud flying, formation, cine gun, ZZ approaches air to ground firing and low flying were carried out.

Thursday, 26 November, 1942

It was cloudy all day with 10/10ths at 3,000 to 4,000 feet and 4 to 6 miles visibility.  Local and low flying, formation, cine gun, and ZZ approaches.  Flying Officer R.H. Johnston arrived today to double bank on administrative duties.

Friday, 27 November, 1942

Weather was cloudy with a base around 700 feet and rain, becoming foggy towards evening.  All flying suspended.

Saturday, 28 November, 1942

Weather was cloudy with intermittent rain and visibility of 4 to 6 miles.  Air to air firing, local flying, cloud flying, ZZ approaches, formation flying cine gun and attacks on Wellingtons were flown today.  A farewell well party for Flight Lieutenant G.U. Hill was held.  He has ably demonstrated his flying ability and is sure to add to the reputation of those pilots of 403 Squadron now serving in the Middle East.

Sunday, 29 November, 1942

Weather was cloudy with showers.  The cloud base was at 300 feet and the visibility was between 6 to 12 miles.  Local flying, ZZ approaches and cloud flying were carried out today.

Monday, 30, November, 1942

Weather was clear in the morning, developing into 6/10ths to 8/10ths cloud at 4,000 to 6,000 feet later in the day.  A flying exercise was done by six aircraft in the morning and local flying, attacks on Wellingtons, aerobatics and dogfights were flown throughout the day.  Flying Officer A.H. Warner has completely recovered from his accident at Kenley and was today posted from 403 to 418 Squadron with a promotion indicated.  He was very popular here and his departure is regretted.  Fortunately, his shoes will be capably filled by F/O R.J.C. Doehler, who has demonstrated unusual ability since joining the Squadron.

Personnel and Flying Times for November 1942


No. of Officers – Flying    12    –    1
No. of Officers – Ground    5    1    –
No. of Airmen – Flying     11    –    3
No. of Officers – Ground    83    22    _-
111    23    4

Operational Flying Times:     2:30
Total Non-op time:    486:25
Non-operational night:    63:20
Tiger Moth:        32:10
Grand total for Month    584:25

Casualties for the Month: NIL
No enemy aircraft engaged.

Aircraft on Strength: 19 Spitfire Mk VB, 1 Tiger Moth